Safe sex elephant in room
Everybody is doing it, but are they doing it safely? Whether you are engaging in sexual intercourse or oral sex, practicing safe sex every time can help to protect against both pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases.
As college students enter a new phase of life with more independence, it’s important not to put ourselves at risk.
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, an average of 40,000 to 80,000 new cases of HIV, AID and other sexually transmitted diseases are reported each year in the United States. Studies also have shown that half of all new infections are among people younger than 25 who are participating in unprotected sex.
Dr. Jeannie Labat, a nurse practitioner, said everyone should protect themselves.
“We can’t stop people from having sex, but we can educate them on how to have safe sex,” she said, adding, “I strongly believe that one should be proactive in managing one’s health, especially sexually transmitted diseases are on the rise.”
Labat offered some reminders: Use condoms whenever you have sex; dental dams for oral sex; and gloves for finger penetration. And get tested at a local clinic, along with your partner, before you have sex.
At Dillard, nurses in the clinic offer free condoms for students. And Alison M. Proctor, licensed professional counselor, said she also keeps free accessible contraception in her office as well.
Having safe and smart sex will help you avoid potentially fatal consequences in the future.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More ducourtbouillon News Articles
Recent ducourtbouillon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DUCOURTBOUILLON
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DUCOURTBOUILLON NEWS
- Black girls 'born guilty' in Western culture, speaker says
- 16 students who went to D.C. march plan to use experience for momentum
- Jackson wins 2017 Miss Black and Gold pageant
- Catholic activist calls for revolution, not resolutions
- Roland Martin: White blacklash follows black success
- DU Homecoming 2016
- Stopped at the door
RECENT DUCOURTBOUILLON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Protecting Seniors Online from Scams, Hacks and Tax Fraud
- Rehydrating for Optimal Health
- Five Reasons You Need Cell Phone Insurance Now
- The One Super Bowl Fact You Still May Not Know
- Companies Are Discovering That Pittsburgh Is Good for...
- Millennials Go House Hunting, and Here's What They Crave
- Estate Plans: You're Not Doing Anyone a Favor by Avoiding...
- What Would You Have to Give Up to Pay for An Unexpected...
- Four Tips to Keep Your Kids' Teeth Healthy And Clean
- Local Community Newspapers Go Digital
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- N. American Effie Awards Announces 2017 Collegiate Effie Competition
- Students Increasingly Turn To GoFundMe To Pay For College
- O2 BARS: LATEST RAGE AT COLLEGE DE-STRESS, SOCIAL, & WELLNESS EVENTS
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- ESA Foundation launches 2017-18 Scholarship Program