Safe sex elephant in room
Everybody is doing it, but are they doing it safely? Whether you are engaging in sexual intercourse or oral sex, practicing safe sex every time can help to protect against both pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases.
As college students enter a new phase of life with more independence, it’s important not to put ourselves at risk.
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, an average of 40,000 to 80,000 new cases of HIV, AID and other sexually transmitted diseases are reported each year in the United States. Studies also have shown that half of all new infections are among people younger than 25 who are participating in unprotected sex.
Dr. Jeannie Labat, a nurse practitioner, said everyone should protect themselves.
“We can’t stop people from having sex, but we can educate them on how to have safe sex,” she said, adding, “I strongly believe that one should be proactive in managing one’s health, especially sexually transmitted diseases are on the rise.”
Labat offered some reminders: Use condoms whenever you have sex; dental dams for oral sex; and gloves for finger penetration. And get tested at a local clinic, along with your partner, before you have sex.
At Dillard, nurses in the clinic offer free condoms for students. And Alison M. Proctor, licensed professional counselor, said she also keeps free accessible contraception in her office as well.
Having safe and smart sex will help you avoid potentially fatal consequences in the future.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More ducourtbouillon News Articles
Recent ducourtbouillon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DUCOURTBOUILLON
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DUCOURTBOUILLON NEWS
RECENT DUCOURTBOUILLON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
- Depression Sufferers Find Hope With New Sound Technology
- Going With Your Gut -- Virtual Colonoscopy Simplifies...
- Entrepreneurs Provide TIPS! Monthly Yield Now Makes Sense
- Amid Opioid Abuse Crisis, Back Pain Sufferers Look to...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Applications Available for Phi Kappa Phi Student Leadership Summit
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards
- Investor Bitcoin Investment Plans Guarantee Zero Losses