NOLA's own speaks at Brain Food lecture series
Reality show personality Toya Wright appears Oct. 21
NEW ORLEANS (Nov. 10, 2016) – Reality show personality, entrepreneur and New York Times best-selling author Toya Wright offered some hard-won advice about business and social media pettiness before a full crowd in Georges Auditorium on Oct. 21.
The New Orleans native of owner of Garb boutique, who first became widely known as the wife of recording artist Lil’ Wayne, made the New York Times best-selling list for her book, “Priceless Inspirations.” She also wrote “Advice, How-To, and Miscellaneous” and is now promoting her latest, book, “In My Own Words…My Real Reality.”
Appearing at the Brain Food lecture series, Wright advised finding the right team and being careful with contracts.
She stressed how important it was to have a group of people you can connect with and who will bring the best out of you. Find people who want to eat just as badly as you do, and that’s how you’ll know you have the right people, she said.
Wright recalled how a publisher came to her while she was on BET’s “Tiny & Toya” and offered what she thought was the best deal ever. She said she hurriedly signed a contract only to learn she signed over all of her rights to the publishing company. She said she turned a bad situation into one of the best decisions of her life by starting her own publishing company.
She said, “Never let anyone kill your dreams, and come back 10 times harder.”
Wright said her latest book allows her to tell her truth without the stories being manipulated as they often are in social media. The book covers topics like social media pettiness, the recent killing of her two brothers, separation and divorce.
Wright said she always wants to represent the truth, so she sticks to being her true self on reality television.
“You cannot become a victim to people’s opinion of you,” she said. “You can love me or hate me, but I’m still me.”
She added, “Be careful who you share your ideas with and stay away from dream killers.”
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More ducourtbouillon News Articles
Recent ducourtbouillon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DUCOURTBOUILLON
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DUCOURTBOUILLON NEWS
- Own your identity, social justice advocate suggests
- DU Evacuteer Hackathon helps emergency preparedness
- Cagle editorial cartoon
- Jacquees to headline Spring Fest concert on Aprill 22
- State Sen. Wesley Bishop says your future is in your hands
- Two Mobile, Ala., students elected Mister, Miss Dillard
- STEM, English students big winners in Undergraduate Research Week Competition
RECENT DUCOURTBOUILLON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
- Why Yoga Relieves Stress, Improves Health and Balances...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum
- Dallas Regional Chamber Targets National Millennial Workforce with New Talent Attraction Campaign, Say Yes to Dallas