Variety of new intramural options available now at DU
NEW ORLEANS (Nov. 10, 2016) – Paintball, soccer and a variety of tournaments are just a few of the new intramural sport options being offered to DU students.
Upcoming events include laser tag at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 15 (a special event), and co-ed recreational volleyball at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 22.
Additionally, 10 cruiser bicycles for free rental and new sports clubs (such as softball and boxing) have been added, according to Perry Brown, coordinator of recreation and student leadership, who arrived on campus in February. The bikes were added over the summer.
Brown said three new sports began in October: kickball tournament and battleship, the Bleu Devil Lift meet and fall softball. Flag football, Madden NFL 17 PlayStation and handball tournaments began in September. Three-on-three basketball began in August.
On average, roughly 25 students participate, depending on the sport, Brown said. The most popular are flag football and 5-on-5 basketball, he added.
New additions to the Student Union include life-size Jenga, Connect Four and a new air hockey table. Student’s faculty and staff also have the ability to rent bikes for an hour simply by using their IDs. Brown said he’d like to add another air-hockey table and a PS4/X-Box gaming system lounge, along with additional bikes, perhaps mountain bikes.
Kristopher Allmon, a senior biology major from Baton Rouge, applauded the changes.
“I feel the improvements are well overdue,” she said. “I’m glad Mr. Perry has our intramural program going in a positive direction now. The new additions to the student union gives me as well as other students a reason to want to go there now. It’s not just another long walk with limited things to do.”
For more information about intramural sporting events, pick up a roster Recreation, Health & Wellness office. The union is open from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to noon Friday and Saturday, and from noon to 7 p.m. Sunday.
(Chance Moore contributed to this report.)
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More ducourtbouillon News Articles
Recent ducourtbouillon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DUCOURTBOUILLON
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DUCOURTBOUILLON NEWS
- Own your identity, social justice advocate suggests
- DU Evacuteer Hackathon helps emergency preparedness
- Cagle editorial cartoon
- Jacquees to headline Spring Fest concert on Aprill 22
- State Sen. Wesley Bishop says your future is in your hands
- Two Mobile, Ala., students elected Mister, Miss Dillard
- STEM, English students big winners in Undergraduate Research Week Competition
RECENT DUCOURTBOUILLON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
- Why Yoga Relieves Stress, Improves Health and Balances...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum
- Dallas Regional Chamber Targets National Millennial Workforce with New Talent Attraction Campaign, Say Yes to Dallas