Spring Dillard University student population drops by 89, to total 1,172
NEW ORLEANS (March 10, 2017) – Some 1,172 students are enrolled this spring at Dillard, down 89 students, or 7.1 percent, from the 1,261 enrolled in the fall, according statistics provided by the administration.
The student population demographic is mostly Louisiana residents and nearly one-third freshmen, with Public Health as the No. 1 major.
The majority of Dillard students continue to be from Louisiana, with an overall 61.1 percent. And another one-fourth come from three states: California, Texas and Illinois, in that order, according to statistics provided by Dr. Willie Kirkland, director of Institutional Research and Assessment.
The leading states for out-of-state enrollment remain California, Texas and Illinois, at 10.3 percent, 9.9 percent and 5 percent, respectively, for a combined percentage of 25.2 percent of enrollment.
By classification, some 31.7 percent, or 317 students, are freshmen. The other 68.3 percent are fairly evenly spread among the other classes: 21.9 percent sophomores (257 students); 20.9 percent juniors (245 students); and 23.5 percent seniors (275). Additionally, 15 were classified as transfers and five as “other.”
The top five majors are Public Health, Biology, Business Administration, Psychology and Mass Communication. Public Health has 187 majors, or 15.7 percent of the total student body; Biology, 175 students, 14.9 percent; and Business Administration, 105, or 9 percent. Psychology and Mass Communication are very close, with 90 and 84 students respectively, or 7.7 percent and 7.2 percent.
Nursing, which is known for bringing in the most freshmen into Pre-Nursing, has 50 majors, or 4.3 percent.
There is a total of 14 international students compared to last semesters 26 students with 23 being from Mexico. This semester four of the international students are coming from Haiti and three are from Nigeria.
Monica White, director for recruitment/admission programming said few changes are expected for 2017-18 recruiting strategies.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More ducourtbouillon News Articles
Recent ducourtbouillon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DUCOURTBOUILLON
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DUCOURTBOUILLON NEWS
- Own your identity, social justice advocate suggests
- DU Evacuteer Hackathon helps emergency preparedness
- Cagle editorial cartoon
- Jacquees to headline Spring Fest concert on Aprill 22
- State Sen. Wesley Bishop says your future is in your hands
- Two Mobile, Ala., students elected Mister, Miss Dillard
- STEM, English students big winners in Undergraduate Research Week Competition
RECENT DUCOURTBOUILLON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
- Why Yoga Relieves Stress, Improves Health and Balances...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum
- Dallas Regional Chamber Targets National Millennial Workforce with New Talent Attraction Campaign, Say Yes to Dallas