Holland: Weekend grill not profitable
Sodexo manager leaves door open for another trial run
NEW ORLEANS (March 10, 2017) – Students who like to sleep in on weekends have complained about Grill 155 not being open, but the Sodexo general manager said a previous trial run showed it was not profitable.
However, Yolanda Holland left open the possibility that she might consider another trial.
Holland said she tried opening Grill 155 for four consecutive Saturdays a few semesters ago. Customer counts were really low, she said, adding, “We did not generate enough revenue to cover our expenses.”
Pausing, she added, “It would be interesting to see what another trial would be today” using hours that don’t overlap with Kearny’s.
Cardell Haynes, a freshman business major from Baton Rouge, said he often misses out on weekend brunch in Kearny. Those hours are “strict,” he said.
“I sleep in on weekends to accommodate for the lack of rest that I get during the work week.” Haynes said, “It sucks to oversleep and miss breakfast because my other option is to buy something or wait until Kearny opens at 5 p.m. for dinner.
“I’m sure that I am not the only person who feels this way, but I invest too much money to be hungry,” Haynes said.
Holland, who has heard such suggestions before about opening Grill 155 on weekends, said, “We have to consider student behaviors and patterns to make the best business decision.”
For example, Holland noted, a previous trial run to expand weekday hours of Grill 155 had “astounding” results. Because of that, Grill 155 is now open Monday through Friday from 6:30-10 p.m.
Operating the grill on weekends would require scheduling at least two or three staff members to work, she said.
Holland said, “I just want to do what is best for the students. I love Dillard, and I just want to see everyone happy.”
(Jaques Clinton contributed to this report.)
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More ducourtbouillon News Articles
Recent ducourtbouillon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DUCOURTBOUILLON
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DUCOURTBOUILLON NEWS
RECENT DUCOURTBOUILLON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
- Depression Sufferers Find Hope With New Sound Technology
- Going With Your Gut -- Virtual Colonoscopy Simplifies...
- Entrepreneurs Provide TIPS! Monthly Yield Now Makes Sense
- Amid Opioid Abuse Crisis, Back Pain Sufferers Look to...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Applications Available for Phi Kappa Phi Student Leadership Summit
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards
- Investor Bitcoin Investment Plans Guarantee Zero Losses