New Orleans film festival returns to city
With this year marking its 18th anniversary, the New Orleans Film Festival's annual gala will be returning home since its brief break after the storm. From Oct. 11 through Oct. 18, the festival will a showcase of national and international short films and movies.
Dubbed as "Cannes on the Mississippi," the festival has been a city-wide event hosted by the New Orleans Film Society since 1989. This year's festival is titled "Zoom In" and will kick off with a red-carpet, Hollywood-style gala in the Warehouse District Oct. 11. The party will continue over the week as movies are premiered at venues across the city, including the Canal Place Cinema, Prytania Theatre and Contemporary Arts Theatre.
Following Hurricane Katrina, the Film Society did not produce the festival due to the tribulations brought on by the storm but this year, they are returning with a bang.
Highlights of the "In Competition" portion of the festival include a stand-up comedy concert by actor Vince Vaughn (Jurassic Park, The Break-Up) and a questionnaire session with writer/director Vince Morelli (Left Behind). A film that is slated to come out on top is filmmaker Rick Ray's 10 Questions for the Dalai Lama, a film that will be shown three times during the course of the festival. The film has already won an award at the 2006 Berkeley Video & Film Festival.
Other films that will be highlighted include The Walker, a socialite drama starring Woody Harrelson (Cheers) and Emmy award-winning Lily Tomlin (The West Wing, The Magic School Bus), as well as Left Behind: The Story of the New Orleans Public Schools, a documentary about the lives of three high school seniors in the New Orleans public school system in the film.
Tickets for the event are on sale to the general public, starting at $8.00 for each separate film and going up to $200 for all films at all venues throughout the festival. Tickets for the gala are $300. The Film Congress' panels and workshops, which will take place at the Contemporary Arts Center and Swelltone Labs, are free and open to the public. For a full schedule of all films and events of the Festival, see the New Orleans Film Society Webpage at http://www.neworleansfilmfest.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Courtbouillon News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST COURTBOUILLON NEWS
- Newly inducted greeks introduced during Homecoming week
- Hartzell expected to reopen late November
- DU underclassmen find curfew policies 'ridiculous' but safe
- Change society through justice, speaker urges
- 'Zooman and the Sign' to run through this weekend
- Homecoming Coronation set for 8 p.m. Friday
- CNN analyst to speak on Tuesday; ER doctor/author on tap in spring
RECENT COURTBOUILLON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections