Brandy tops Spring Fest show
NEW ORLEANS (April 11, 2013)-Grammy-awarding singer-actress Brandy, R&B singer-songwriter Elle Varner and New Orleans rapper Curren$y will headline the Spring Fest concert at 7 p.m. Saturday in Dent Hall, culminating more than a week of festivities at Dillard.
With a theme of "DU-TV: Don't Believe, Just Watch," the Spring Fest schedule started with the "Dreamgirls" production last weekend and ends with the concert.
Jerald Bowman, director of student engagement and professional development, said the theme was chosen because "we wanted it to be like watching TV for you guys. We've worked really hard to bring you guys the entertainment we think you all will want."
Tickets are $5 pre-sale for Dillard students and $10 general admission.
Brandy Norwood, 34, a native of Mississippi, made her debut album at age 15. She and Monica won a Grammy for their 1998 song "The Boy is Mine." In 2010, Billboard ranked Norwood in its Top 50 R&B and hip-hop artist lists of the past 25 years.
Along the way, Norwood starred in the UPN sitcom "Moesha" for six seasons, judged the first season of "America's Got Talent," appeared on "Dancing with the Stars," and starred with her family in the VH1 reality show "Brandy and Ray J: A Family Business." She currently is a regular on the BET comedy series "The Game" and is part of the ensemble cast of Tyler Perry's new movie drama, "Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor."
Singer-guitarist Varner's debut album, "Perfectly Imperfect," debuted at No. 2 on the Billboard Top R&B/hip-hop albums in 2012. She was nominated for a Grammy for best R&B song.
Curren$y signed with Master P's No Limit Records in 2002 and was a member of the 504 Boyz before moving to Cash Money Records and Lil Wayne's Young Money Entertainment in 2004. "The Stoned Immaculate," his eighth studio album, was released by Warner Brothers Records last yearToday: Black Ivy Couture fashion show, 7-9 p.m. in Dent (tickets $3), following by a "Scandal" party at 9:30 p.m. on Kabacoff.
- Friday: Crawfish boil sponsored by the National Pan-Hellenic Council, 11 a.m. on Kabacoff Plaza; Greek Show, 7 p.m., in Dent.
Events already held included the first International Festival on Saturday and a Gospel Explosion on Sunday, featuring New Orleans native gospel artist Jonte Landrum-Thomas, the Vision Chorale, Liturgical/Mime and local choirs. A shimmy contest and the midnight breakfast were held Monday. A job career fair was held in the Professional Schools Building on Tuesday, with "BET Special: Bury the Rachet" at 7 p.m. in Georges Auditorium.
Hump Day on Wednesday featured music and crawfish on Kabacoff, with the Collegiate Black 100's Fake the Funk at 7 p.m. in Cook Center.
(Antonio Merrick contributed to this report.)
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Courtbouillon News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST COURTBOUILLON NEWS
- Newly inducted greeks introduced during Homecoming week
- Hartzell expected to reopen late November
- DU underclassmen find curfew policies 'ridiculous' but safe
- Change society through justice, speaker urges
- 'Zooman and the Sign' to run through this weekend
- Homecoming Coronation set for 8 p.m. Friday
- CNN analyst to speak on Tuesday; ER doctor/author on tap in spring
RECENT COURTBOUILLON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
- 4 Basic Exercises to Help Older Adults Improve Strength...
- New Drug May Help Control the Spread of Cancer
- Uber to Passengers: Our Drivers May Be Unsafe
- Thermal Imaging Camera Helps Find Hidden Damage in Your Home
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!
- FARE's College Food Allergy Program Pilots in a Dozen Schools Nationwide
- HOTSHOT® HOT Canned Coffee gets a Jolt from Kickstarter
- From dating to internships - it's everything you need to know about college: The Her Campus Guide to College Life, Out Now